We all enjoy watching videos but do you know what it means each time you hear abbreviations like MP4, AVI or MPEG4?
In this post we have video formats explained in a manner which would take just a few minutes to understand!
Part 1 What is a Video File Format?
There are two crucial aspects that would help you understand file format. The greater the resolution on your video the larger the file. So what exactly is a codec and Container?
● A Codec is the layout to which audio and video files are transcoded into. They compress or decompress the video data into lossy or lossless files.
● Lossy files are smaller in size hence would take up less space as some of the data is lost while lossless files retain all of the original data making their files larger.
● Containers act as the vessel that contains all the data required to support your video's playback.
● These containers come with file extensions like .mov, .mp3 or .avi.
● Containers are also purposed for holding other components such as 'metadata' which can include information such as frame rate, lens info, camera settings and more.
1. What Are the Basic Video File Formats
The most commonly used codecs today are , , VP9 and AV1, while common containers are MKV, MP4, WebM and AVCHD. Each codec and file format has its own unique advantage and drawbacks, as certain file formats are incompatible with select video players.
2. What is a Good Video Format
Here are some of those factors, each with its own format compatibility.
● The highest bitrate may not always be the right solution if it's not supported by internet speed.
● For platforms like Facebook, Twitter or Instagram, a combination of MP4 with h is your ideal choice while YouTube is more compatible with heavier formats like MOV, WMV or AVI.
Recording and Storage:
● What you need is a lossless video format that retains data and doesn't require compression.
● Professionals who edit HD videos opt for MKV and AVCHD that gives them the best quality results.
● Both audio and video streams would be compressed into a special container that uses a codec that transcribes them later to sound a picture for playback on multimedia players.
● Best video file formats for editing would be MOV, MKV, MP4, AVI and WMV.
3. The Importance of Codecs and Containers
Most often it is hard to spot the difference between low quality and high quality videos but a drop in quality can significantly affect how your video looks, how it’s shared and how it is played.
Without using a codec, your original file size may take ages to download.
Part 2 5 Popular Video File Formats, Containers
It has a wide range of available extensions like m4a, m4v, f4a,f4b and m4r, and uses separate compression algorithms for video and audio files. You are ensured of lossless compression and widely supported by multiple multimedia players and digital devices.
High degree of Compression.
Universally compatible with devices and editors.
Suitable for only MPEG4.
Risk of Copyright infringement.
Loss of pixel quality.
Popularly known as the best video format suitable for iOS devices since it was developed by Apple to store full-length movies on QuickTime. It is great for downloading and saving videos off the internet given its compatibility with several other multimedia players.
Save data without having to rewrite.
Wide range compatibility with platforms and codecs.
Loss of quality when compressed.
Large file size.
Ma not be compatible with some players.
MKV is probably the most convenient video format to use and is praised by a vast number of video editors. Saving your files in MKV allows you to store unlimited video and audio tracks, subtitles, uncompressed HD videos and more.
Open source format.
High quality video.
Only a handful of players can play MKV.
Large video files.
May take time to load.
First introduced by Blu-Ray, AVCHD is video file format used for recording high-quality videos for further editing. This format is capable of supporting 1080p videos between 50 to 60 fps rate. Industrial professionals use this format for editing superbly fine videos which are not meant for typical consumer usage.
Originally used by Sony and Panasonic cameras.
Impressively high image and audio quality.
Extremely Large Files.
Not compatible with most video players and digital devices.
Difficult to store in a single file in M2TS format.
WEBM is the most suitable format for uploading online videos and it comes Google recommended. It is was developed as a free to use format for HTML5. You can integrate directly with your website’s plugins. Supported by all browsers like Chrome, Edge, Explorer and Firefox. You would experience no compromise to loading time if you use WebM format for your videos.
Royalty free and open source format.
Is directly played on web browser.
May not be compatible with outdated browsers and players.
Low Video Quality.
Wondershare Anireel - Easy Tool for Creating Animated Explainer Videos
1,435 people have downloaded it.
Built-in rich animation templates, including characters, actions, props, text, audio. Drag and drop to use for ease
Easy Text-to-Speech conversion through deep learning technology.
Anireel can animate built-in and imported material. It includes intro & outro animations and keyframing function for more versatility.
Anireel will instantly match your script to rich animations, convert the text into voice over, and generate complete and vivid Animated Explainer Videos.
Each animated character speaks in sync with accurate mouth movements according to the audio.
Part 3 The Best Video Codecs: Pros and Cons Explained
|H264||Universal Coder||34 MB||Medium||High|
|High Compression||33.5 MB||Medium||High|
|Xvid||High Quality||55 MB||High||Medium|
|MPEG-1||Ideal Compression Rate||38.8 MB||Medium||Below Average|
|RGB 24||Lossless Compression, Less Size||104 MB||High||Very High|
We make video animation better for everyone. Electrifying features that satisfy your imagination.
Some Final Thoughts
● Choosing the right file format or combination of codec and container for your video can become a complicated task if you lack the correct data.
● It is ultimately about whether your choice of video format serves you best no matter if it’s lossy or lossless, heavy on space or conserving space, high resolution or loss of pixelization, so on and so forth.